How to successfully import a movie recorded using Fraps into iMovie;
- Get Fraps, record whatever you want
- Get XviD4PSP (freeware) & install
- Import your avi files recorded using Fraps into XviD4PSP (drag & drop)
- Pick the encoding you want on the left. x264 q21 DXVA-SD-Insane seemed to be an acceptable quality.
- Click enqueue (and repeat 3->5 for multiple files)
- Click encode
- … wait …
- This will create .mp4 files; transfer those to your Mac
- Open iMovie, File -> Import -> Movies -> select the mp4 files
- … wait … A couple of hours
- Your movie should now be in iMovie, and you should be able to edit it
- Edit whatever you want to edit, share and export and have fun.
A little hint, if your video is cropped (parts cut off), click your movie sequence -> on the left corner of your sequence a little “gear” will appear -> Cropping & Rotation -> in your right display window click “fit” to make it full size.
Took me quite some time before I managed to do it, but hey, now I know… 😉