Exchange error 0x6d9

I noticed my “Offline Address Book” was no longer automatically updating.

Running “get-offlineaddressbook |fl” in the EMS showed it last updated somewhere 16th November 2010.

Trying to manually update it through EMC (“Organizational Configuration > Mailbox > Offline Address Book > right click Default Offline Address Book > click update”) it gave me this error:

 --------------------------------------------------------
 Microsoft Exchange Error
 --------------------------------------------------------
 Action 'Update' could not be performed on object 'Default Offline Address Book'.
 Default Offline Address Book
 Failed
 Error:
 Failed to generate the content of the offline address book
 '\Default Offline Address Book'.
 Two possible reasons for the failure are that the System Attendant Service is not running or
 you do not have permission to perform this operation. Error message :
 'Error 0x6d9 (There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper) from RpcEpResolveBinding'.
 Error 0x6d9 (There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper) from RpcEpResolveBinding
 --------------------------------------------------------
 OK
 --------------------------------------------------------
 --------------------------------------------------------
 Microsoft Exchange Error
 --------------------------------------------------------
 Action 'Update' could not be performed on object
 'Default Offline Address Book'.
 Default Offline Address BookFailedError:Failed to generate the content of the
 offline address book '\Default Offline Address Book'. Two possible reasons for
 the failure are that the System Attendant Service is not running or you do not
 have permission to perform this operation. Error message :
 'Error 0x6d9 (There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper) from RpcEpResolveBinding'.
 Error 0x6d9 (There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper) from RpcEpResolveBinding
 --------------------------------------------------------
 OK
 --------------------------------------------------------

I googled for quite a while trying to find a fix, but nothing useful could be found.

I then checked the “Microsoft Exchange System Attendant” (yes, something I probably should have done first), to find it was stopped even though its startup type is set to Automatic.

Starting this service fixed the issue, and I could now update the Address Book again.

But rebooting the server, caused the service to not start again (and I couldn’t find anything in event logs).

Solution: change it to delayed start and set the first and 2nd failure to “restart the service” and change “restart the service after” to 5 minutes.

Yes, a dirty work around but this solved it. As this service only takes care of address book generation and legacy support, it’s not critical to start at boot.

12 comments

  1. Mike says:

    Thanks for this- had the same problem and this was a quick fix.

  2. Yeri Tiete says:

    cheers 🙂

  3. Julien says:

    Really good 😉

    Thx

  4. Rick says:

    Definitely something that’s easy to overlook. Just added a new user today, and tried to force an OAB update and got the error. Your solution, while you may deem it “dirty” is still effective. Thanks, I never once thought to check the services to make sure they were all running (doh!). Aloha ….

  5. Mark says:

    Thanks for posting this. It’s kind of a dumb problem, but this is exactly the issue I was having, and sure enough, the SA was stopped. I feel kinda dumb for not checking the services, but I never thought the SA wouldn’t have started.

  6. chaozz says:

    I had the exact same issue, and your fix was spot on. The service you said was indeed not running. Starting it, and adjusting the service startup settings fixed it.

    Thanks for putting this online!

  7. Dave says:

    I had the exact same issue. This fix helped me out greatly. I never considered checking the services. Thank you!

  8. Chris says:

    instead of hours of googling I found your post and saved me much time and effort. Thanks!

  9. Another Dave says:

    Yeah, add me to the ‘I’m stupid and didn’t check the service’ list of Muppet IT people … my excuse is that it is Monday morning and I’m on my firs coffee of the day.

    Applied your ‘fix’ so hopefully it won’t catch me out again, cheers 😉

  10. Noor says:

    well done , its resolved the matter

  11. Shlomi says:

    simple fix .
    but i have question. after how long should i see the contacts updated in outlook (in owa i see it updated the contacts i added)

  12. Goran says:

    Thank you, technet did not provide me an anwser but you did. Only thing missing was correct name of service.

Leave a Reply...